KASEVICH, Vadim B.
(St. Petersburg University)
Vadim B. Kasevich is Professor of Burmese and general linguistics, Vice-Rector for Educational Policy and Curriculum, Director of the Laboratory for Computer Application in the Humanities at St. Petersburg University. He is a highly respected scholar, who is well known in Russia and abroad. V. Kasevich is Editor-in-Chief of the scholarly journal Yazyk i rechevaja deyatel'nost' [Language and language behavior] and Vice-President of the St. Petersburg Linguistic Society. He teaches the courses of Burmese grammar, Burmese phonetics, Genealogical and typological classification of SEA languages, General linguistics, Linguistic typology, Models of speech perception, Language and culture, Language and religion, Philosophy of language, etc. He was Visiting professor at Humboldt Univ. zu Berlin (1982), University of California, Berkeley and Los Angeles (1990), Universite Paris-III, Sorbonne Nouvelle (1994), University of Utrecht (1998), University of Mannheim (1999), Bard College (N.Y., 2000), etc
V. Kasevich has published over 250 monographs, textbooks, and articles, including:
· Elements of General Linguistics (M.: Nauka, 1977, in Russian);
· A Concise Grammar of Burmese (M.: Russkij Jazyk, 1977, in Russian);
· Phonological Problems in General and Oriental Linguistics (M.: Nauka, 1983, in Russian);
· A Quantitative typology of Asian and African Languages (Leningrad: Leningrad Univ. Press, 1984; ed., co-ed.: S.Yaxontov, in Russian).
· Morphonology (Leningrad: Leningrad Univ. Press, 1986, in Russian);
· Semantics. Syntax. Morphology (M.: Nauka, 1988, in Russian);
· Accent and Tone in Speech and Language (Leningrad: Leningrad Univ. Press, 1990, in Russian; co-authors: E.Shabelnikova and V.Rybin);
· Problems in Speech Perception (St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg Univ. Press, 1994, in Russian; co-author: A.Ventsov).
· Buddhism, Worldview, and Language (St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoje Vostokovedenije, 1996, in Russian).
· Abreges des conferences sur la phonologie (Paris: Univ. Paris-III, 1996)
· Zero in Phonological Description: Chinese and Burmese. Word, 1970, vol. 26 (co-author: N.Speshnev).
· Some Logical Aspects of the Concept of the Phoneme. Linguistics, 1974, N 126.
· Zum Problem des Monosyllabismus der Burmesischen Sprache. Linguisticshe Studien. Reihe A. Berlin, 1981, N 82;
· Hierarchy of Levels in Speech Perception. In: Proc. of the 11th Intern. Congress of Phonetic Sciences. Tallinn, 1987 (co-auth.: E.Shabelnikova);
· On Phonology-Morphology Interface in Sino-Tibetan Languages. In: Current Issues in Sino-Tibetan Linguistics. Osaka, 1994.
· Logique, analogie et empirisme dans l'analyse linguistique. In: Fondements de la recherche linguistique: Perspectives epistemologiques. Lausanne, 1995 (Cahiers de lÒILSL, N 6).
V. Kasevich often participates in international conferences and supervises the research of Doctoral students.