1st INFO LETTER
Deadline: January 15, 2006
III International Russian Communication Association Conference-2006
"COMMUNICATION AND (RE) MAKING SOCIAL WORLDS"
The Russian Communication Association with the participation and support of leading St.Petersburg universities - St. Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg-M.A.Bonch-Bruevich State University for Telecommunications, St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University, Nevsky Institute of Language and Culture, St. Petersburg Institute of Foreign Economic Relations, Economics and Law - announces its third international conference:
"COMMUNICATION AND (RE) MAKING SOCIAL WORLDS"
The National Communication Association is a conference partner and information sponsor.
The conference will be held in St. Petersburg, Russia, on June 12-16, 2006.
The conference aims at:
1) Bringing together domestic and international professionals as well as educational and research institutions to discuss the following issues:
- conceptualizing communication as a social process, the (formative) role of communication in today's society
- communication theory as an area of study; its practical applications
- communication processes in various social contexts
- development and institutionalization of communication education in Russia
2) Exchanging communication research and educational experience among scholars of Russia, the NIS, Europe and North America.
The conference focuses on the following areas:
- Philosophy and theory of communication
- Organizational, professional, and business communication
- Interpersonal and small group communication
- Gender communication
- Computer-mediated communication and advanced information technologies (IT)
- Mass and media communication
- Public relations theory and practice
- Political communication and political rhetoric
- Communication and culture
- Communication education
- Communication practice(s) and social responsibility
We invite submissions of papers and proposals for paper panels, roundtables, poster sessions, workshops (including GIFTS- great ideas for teaching communication), and student panels .
The collection of papers will be published before the conference.
Submission of Papers and Proposals:
Papers (in the form of abstracts up to 10 pages) and all other proposals (for sessions, roundtable discussions, and workshops) should be submitted by January 15, 2006.
Please send all submissions to:
Dr. Steven A. Beebe
Department of Communication Studies
601 University Drive
Texas State University-San Marcos
San Marcos, TX 78666-4616
Office phone: 512-245-2165
Office fax: 512-245-3138
A registration form should be attached to the abstracts.
- First name
- Last name
- Place of work (university, department)
- Position, academic degree
- Topic of presentation
- Topic of roundtable or workshop
- Short description
- Technical equipment needed
Submission Requirements (if you are considering your abstract for publication)
- Margins: top - 2 cm, bottom - 2,5 cm, left - 2,5 cm, right - 2,5 cm;
- Type: Times New Roman, Normal, 14pt;
- Line spacing - 1;
- The name is printed in small letters in the top right-hand corner
- Organization, city, and country are indicated in a single space in small letters in brackets
- The title of the paper is printed in a double space in capital letters at the middle of the line
- The body is printed in a double space
- References should be put at the end of the paper
The conference registration fee will be announced in September. Preliminary plans for expenses that will be included in the registration fee are airport transportation, paper publication, lunch, coffee breaks, translation services at the conference, welcome reception, a guided-tour of St.Petersburg, a banquet on a boat, and a Hermitage museum tour. Planning for dinner arrangements is not finalized. A list of accommodations will be available later.
Conference languages are Russian and English.
You can find detailed information about the Russian Communication Association and two previous conferences at http://www.russcomm.ru/eng/
Updates on the conference will be posted on the RCA site:
For those of you who would like an introduction to the charm and beauty of the city of St. Petersburg, visit our photo gallery at http://www.russcomm.ru/photo/piter/
Organizing Committee Chair:
USA-Russia, President, Russian Communication Association
Executive Director, North American Russian Communication Association, Inc.
David Cratis Williams, Florida Atlantic University
US Program Coordinator:
Steven A. Beebe, Texas State University-San Marcos
Traveling arrangements from the US:
Maureen Minielli, IUPUI, Indianapolis, USA,
International Participants Coordinator in Russia:
Alyona Dyakova, St. Petersburg -
M.A. Bonch-Bruevich State University for Telecommunications, Russia,
1st Info letter, (.doc)